Blackburn:  01254 681811

Darwen:      01254 777005

Pet Travel Scheme

We offer Pet Passports at all our surgeries, which will anable you to travel throughout the European Union (EU) with your Cat and/or Dog.


To travel your pet will need:


A microchip


A rabies vaccination


A Pet Passort


Firstly the microchip needs to be placed into the animal (usually between the shoulder blades), after the microchip has been checked it is functional the rabies vaccine can be given. Once the microchip and the rabies vaccine have been done we are then able to issue the passport.


When issueing the passport we will have to check all your details with you. The passport will be valid for travel 21 days after the day of rabies vaccination.


Before returning to the UK all animals returning to the UK are required to have a worming tablet given by a veterinary surgeon and recorded in the passport.


Owners must be aware that after the passport is issued the responsibility to keep the rabies boosters and additional treatment up to date is that of the owner and NOT the veterinary practice. Also some EU countries will have additional entry requirements i.e flea or sandfly treatment. These details are available for DEFRA or the embassy of the country you are travelling to.


To obtain this information we would advise you to contact the DEFRA office at Carlisle on 0370 241170 and ask for the export of small animals section.


There is also a pet scheme website at


An example of how not to export your animal...